Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

One Feisty Lady

My grandmother Olene is a piece of work, I tell ya. I am only saying this on my blog because she does not have Internet access. I would never say this in person and I hope my brother does not come across this blog and uses it as blackmail.

My grandmother was a women's libber before her time. When I became engaged she told me "you know you do not have to get married if you do not want too". Olene could give all of us modern women today a run for the money. I remember my grandmother cooking one time. She cooked me a sweet potato and I didn't like sweet potatoes but I sure wasn't going to tell her that!!! Olene use to love reading her tabloid magazines the trashier the better the Globe, The Star, and her favorite the Enquirer. When she finished reading them she would pass them on to my dad and then I would read them. I never read books growing up I read the tabloids! I knew all about Liz Taylor and her many husbands. Back then the Royals and Oprah were on the cover alot. At that time, I had a great Vocabulary I learned it all from the tabloids (mistress, Gary Hart etc). Olene knew all the gossip in the county and didn't mind calling people on the phone or inviting them over to share it. She loves the soap opera "The Young and the Restless" and she still watches it today because I can hear the TV when I pull up in the driveway to see her.

My grandmother worked. In the 70's and early 80's my dad was an accountant for a "Potato Gin". This is were workers went out into the field and dug up potatoes. The potatoes were brought back sorted and bagged. My grandmother "graded potatoes" that means she would sort the good and throw out the bad. I loved sitting with my grandmother on those hot Alabama days. grading potatoes and gossiping with her friends. I very rarely got to hang with her I was more interested in going to buy a coke in a bottle with my grandfather.


Olene never mixes her words if you want the truth ask her or she will volunteer it whether you like it or not. I have many examples of her truth telling. She has a picture of the whole family hanging up and she asked my mom with me sitting next to her "Who is fatter in that picture Shay or (unnamed relative)? " It didn't make me mad I thought it was pretty funny! This is the best example, My brother had recently remarried and he and his new wife went over to visit my grandmother. They brought her an 8x10 of their wedding picture. My brother asked her where to put the wedding picture. Olene replies, "You can put it on top of the TV if you think it is safe". Basically, she was saying in Olene terms, you are going to divorce in a couple of months and I do not want to go to the trouble of taking down the picture and putting up a new one. Okay.. if my husbands grandmother said that to me.. I would cry for days.. So my sister in law is a trooper that is for sure.

When my grandfather was alive my grandmother would keep him straight. She was always telling him how it is and how it is going to be so you better just do as she says. He learned life is much easier that way. I only heard him "talk back" to her one time and I do remember it like it was yesterday. Olene was chewing him out about something (of course I don't remember that part) and my grandfather raised his cane and said "Woman if you don't Shut up I am going to throw you out that window". I was stunned and was afraid that she was going to turn around grab his cane and beat him with it. She didn't she let it go which I know must have been so hard for her.

My grandmother is still the same today. She is in her late 80's and has an oxygen tank but that doesnt stop here. When I go see her it is like time has stood still. She is either watching the Young and the Restless, Family Feud, or the Price is Right. My Grandmother is also talking on the phone. When I arrive she hangs up the phone and gives me the low down of the town happenings. She will also tell me many stories from her childhood but I cant follow along because I do not know who she is talking about.

Olene also loves money! Do not go buying her a gift at Christmas! A gift certificate, maybe! But Cash makes her happy! I remember my dad bought her a washer and a dryer she insisted on repaying him. So, she went to her bedroom and came out with 1,000 dollars in cash!


My brother told Jason (whom I am engaged too) at a Christmas gathering to look at my grandmother, Olene, he said because that is who you will be married too in 50 years! I did not take offense I took it as a compliment! She is one feisty lady! this is my blog of the day, Love bama slammer

2 comments:

TheiaT said...

Shay, is that grandma burch? Is she the one who tried to wash your adoption doll or something like that? Maybe it was the time your family lost your house in the fire???

Bamaslammer said...

Yes it is!!!! She washed the adoption doll and it fell all apart! She sewed it up and didnt put hair on it so I changed it's name from Christina to Chris. She also went out and bought me a brand new too! She had a sweet side but like me you have to diggggg deep!!! :)